TOP AT-HOME WORKOUTS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR WINTER WORKOUT PLAN
I have been asked about my winter workouts and how I keep motivated and keep my energy going during cold dark months in the depths of winter, and I must say that nutrition is a huge part of it for me. I would love to share a few of my favorite things with you from my favorite herb company that I trust so much with my health… and my 7 Great Winter Workout Ideas For You
Winter weather often takes a toll on exercise regimens as snow and ice, cold temperatures, and fewer daylight hours can ruin workout plans. When Mother Nature says, “stay inside,” don’t fret. Try an at-home workout, and get the health benefits of fitness along with the peace of mind your personal safety commands.
7 Great Indoor Workout Ideas
Choose the types of workouts you love; just keep moving!
- Discover a new sport or skill! Try rock climbing, boxing, ice skating, spinning, dodgeball, MMA, or anything else that will engage your interest and help you stay fit away from the elements.
- Find a local boot camp workout. Military training provides the inspiration for these high-intensity indoor cardio sessions.
- Join the resistance. No free weights or machines are needed, just your body weight! This at-home workout method allows you to use furniture, walls, and more to provide resistance and get your heart pumping.
- Hit the pool! It’s always summer at an indoor pool. Swimming provides excellent aerobic fitness and a full-body workout. It also helps keep shoulder and knee joints flexible.
- Find a team. Sign up on a winter league for indoor soccer, dodgeball, or basketball.
- Row, Row, Row! Rowing works out all of your muscles and gets your heart rate firing. You can burn as many as 1,200 calories in an hour!
- Book a session with a personal trainer. You’ll work hard and be motivated to keep your appointment.
Prepare for COLD
Some people like the benefits of running in the cold: many find it exhilarating, challenging, and emotionally empowering in an “I-am-stronger-than-the-elements” way. Plus, winter exercise can help you burn more calories. In fact, shivering can burn 100 calories in 15 minutes!
But be smart when working out in cold weather. Don’t jeopardize your skin or your health in order to increase your calorie burn. Cover all of your extremities, and protect yourself from cold and wind. If you have weak lungs, you’ll want to cover your mouth and nose as well to warm the air you’re breathing. See what temperatures work for you, depending on your outdoor gear. When in doubt, do indoor workouts, and your immune system will thank you for it.
If you DO choose to venture out for exercise, make sure your winter workout plan includes multiple layers of clothing. Start out warm and slowly peel things off as you get warmer to avoid misery. Be sure to cover your ears and fingers, match your footwear to the road conditions, make sure you’re visible (reflective gear) and bring your phone in case you fall or you or someone else needs assistance.
Wondering How to Exercise in the Winter? Try these easy at-home workouts to stay fit during the cold months.
- Plyometrics. This type of exercise looks simple, but it’s intense. Tuck jumps, leg-hops, and other moves improve cardio fitness. Find training videos like Insanity online.
- Pilates exercises help strengthen your core and tone muscles.
- Winter Yoga improves your flexibility and can help you breathe better.
- Lunges and Planks can be done almost anywhere indoors. You might get a funny look at the grocery store, but you might just motivate someone else to work out too!
- Weightlifting. If you don’t have a home gym or free weights, use what you have. One gallon of water = 8 lbs. dead weight. Lift water jugs, move bags of rice or dog food, etc.
Support Your Body During and After Workouts
These are some of my favorite things from my favorite herb company to get you through the winter months and prepare for the spring!
- Nutri-Burn®. This nutrient-dense powder provides 25 g whey protein plus CLA, green tea, and more to promote lean muscle mass and increase energy levels. It also provides 60% or more of 14 essential vitamins and minerals. Love it as a base for my smoothies.
- Free Amino Acids help develop, build and maintain solid muscle tissue, supporting muscle strength and endurance. If you want to build muscle, start here.
- Rejuvenaid rapidly boosts the body’s nitric oxide levels, optimizing circulation and unleashing next-level energy. I would not be without it!
- CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) can help increase lean muscle mass, supporting an increased calorie burn and helping reduce body fat.
- EverFlex® with Hyaluronic Acid helps lubricate joints, supports healthy cartilage, boosts flexibility, and may increase shock absorption in the joint. I must-have supplement for firm healthy skin!
- Solstic® Revive this electrolyte mix supports increased energy and endurance as it supports joint and cartilage health. It also contains amino acids for muscle support.
- Tei-Fu® Recovery Massage Lotion provides penetrating pain relief for sore muscles and joints. Features arnica extract plus menthol, camphor, ginger, and other essential oils.
How do you stay active in the winter?
The key is doing something you ENJOY! Don’t plan on going to the pool if you hate swimming, and don’t try CrossFit If you’re new to working out! Find an activity you actually LIKE, and you’re MUCH more likely to succeed.
My passion is your Solution,